What website do you use for strategies?

I find that they all have conflicting information.

Lets take a look at Dragonite:

Dragon Tail + Hurricane
Dragon Tail + Outrage
Dragon Tail + Hurricane

Going back to this topic:

I think these websites are wrong in their calculation/determination for what is/are the best movesets. The biggest item that is ignored or forgotten is energy.

The other factor is CD vs Charge Timer… The quick moves are instant cast, with a cooldown. Whereas the charge moves are or “CD” being calculated is actually cast time. There is no CD once the charge move lands.

They aren’t accounting for the number of times you would need to use a quick move, to have the necessary energy to use a charge move. Which can have a significant impact given the length of a fight.

So lets take a look at the numbers:

To use Hurricane you would need to use Dragon Tail 12 times. So over the course of 13.2 seconds you would do 186 dmg. Hurricane then hits for 137 after 2.7 sec cast time. So over the course of 14.8 seconds you would do a total of 323 dmg. Which comes to 20.3 DPS.

To use Outrage you would need to use Dragon Tail 6 times. So over the course of 6.6 seconds you would do 93 dmg. Outrage then hits for 137 after 3.9 sec cast time. So over the course of 10.5 seconds you would do a total of 230 dmg. Which comes to 21.9 DPS.

Now fights can last various durations, but the other thing not taken into account is excess energy that is wasted. For example using the 100 Energy Hurricane loses 8 energy in the process. Whereas the lesser energy abilities would simply bleed over into the next use.

Gamepress doesn’t actually provide detailed numbers but rather simply ranks the abilities.

Pokemon GO Hub and Pokemon GO DB do but where they are wrong is they simply take dmg/cd (or cast time). Giving an unrealistic picture of actual performance.

To be honest, I make up my plans as I go. It does seem to work.

1 Like

Spot on with the observations.

Two things that are hard to factored into the damage equation is the actual attack power of the Pokémon and its level. I would like to know exactly how that factors into how much actual damage is done. I would like to know exactly how that factors into how much actual damage is done

I would also really like to know exactly how the Pokémon’s level plays into things. We can see the health point increase will be power good up, It’s harder to see what happens to the Pokémon’s attack power or for that matter defense

In all honesty, we have two problems with the current Battledex:

1. it’s out of date and doesn’t use our simulator results! The sim was written after Battledex articles were published and provides far more accurate metrics, but it’s not yet ready for public usage.
  2. there were several changes that haven’t yet been updated in the Battledex (type effectiveness namely)

We don’t have plans for updating the Battledex before PvP or Gen III comes out, as Niantic keeps changing and changing the meta. At the time when that content was created, the most sensible way of looking at things was through raw DPS.

We do agree with all of the observations you’ve written - we just haven’t thought of a way to implement them efficiently :slight_smile:

4 Likes