Routes feature discussion and discoverings

If I recall correctly that doesn’t give the Cell back either but you can try it out.

To trying it out, I need the routes !

:joy: :joy: :joy:

1 Like

The last two days I’m using a route doing a loop around Central Park in New York. But it’s veeeery long.

1 Like

Remember to be alert at all times.

Stay aware of your surrounding.

1 Like

Something strange happening? My secondary account is walking in the Central Park and the message is: There’s no route nearby

And my other account is walking in Sevilla, Spain and the same message.

Has Niantic stopped in the moment the feature to arrange all the faults?

Having done a number of routes and never had a cell spawn I walked a route today, got within about 50m of the end of the route (no cell so far) and could see there was no cell there.
So I restarted the app, and as soon as I was back on the map a cell appeared. What would you know.
Tried the exact same thing on another two routes, and each time a cell appeared at the end of the route after a restart. Even though one wasn’t present beforehand.
Definitely not saying it’s guaranteed, but it does seem like there’s something to it.

Found this just now. Maybe it helps.

2 Likes

It’s beginning to sound to me like the Zygarde I got last week is likely to remain in its original form. And the routes feature will probably go up on the closet shelf next to the Daily Incense, an older misfeature sounding more and more like the new one. Slavishly walk and occasionally encounter something potentially useful, only to have that remain out of reach.

2 Likes

This has not been confirmed yet but I found some article about someone who claims to have done about 120 Routes so far and they said that you can only get 3 spawns per Route, however the Zygarde Cells also count as spawns. If you had three spawns (they appear to be (mostly?) regionals), no Zygarde Cell. They also claimed that you can get a maximum of 3 Zygarde Cells a day. If all this is true, that makes it only worse.

Slightly modifying this. :slightly_smiling_face:

Routes feature will probably go up like Pokestop making criteria, whereas finding Zygarde cells will be like using Daily Incense for getting Galarian Legends.

2 Likes

Ok here goes.
Short assessment of the Routes feature:
It a big steaming turd :poop:

Here’s what went down when trying a 1.3km Route someone had created.
I had the luxury of being able to test this feature with 4 devices at once.
Phone #1 iPhone 6s (my main and the hotspot for the others) was running a GoPlus at the same time.
After the trainer jumped off the path 3 times in the first 50m I gave up and proceeded as others were still on path to see what would happen.

Phone #2 iPhone 8. Had a Gotcha running.
This one stayed on the path no problem but every time I very briefly stopped to manual catch something on Phone #4 the Route went into pause mode and I had to remember to unpause it all the time.

Phone #3 iPhone 8. Had a Gotcha running.
This one jumped off the path after 150m. Only had one attempt going back to rejoin but jumped off quickly again. Was in no mood for that crap after Same issue with main so moved on.

Phone #4 iPhone 8. No Catching device running.
This one stayed on the path the whole time. I stopped briefly often to throw balls and it stayed engaged with the path only going to pause mode if I stopped for a longer time.

I had a second go at the route to see if the 2 devices that failed would play ball. Both failed again around the 200m mark and couldn’t get them to resume.
No Cell seen on the first lap. No idea what happened the send time as I was in a hurry to get out of the rain when the other 2 compiled the Route. Last 400m it started raining.

2 Likes

Another thing: for me the Cells appear allways on the last meters before reaching the final point of the route. Up to now three times in the moment the cell appears, as well came up the screen to give the greeting for finishing, and after there’s obviously no cell anymore.

1 Like

In general it appears this feature was not ready for prime time when launched and is still not really ready. Those who have been serving as the beta test team (i.e. you who are testing the routes and reporting the user-unfriendly behaviors) ought to get a raise. (More game rewards at a minimum…)

2 Likes

I have not yet tested the Routes feature fortunately. Only uploaded one but I still don’t know what happened to it. No confirmation about it being accepted, rejected, or even that it had been received by Niantic.

1 Like

Dear Trainer,

Our dedicated community will review your submission, we will let you know if accepted. Meanwhile, keep exploring !

:joy:

Is that a message you get when you submit a Route? Because I cannot recall having received that.

Nope. We don’t even have route feature !!

It was just for fun !

:stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

So I gave Niantic a helping hand because they can’t do it themselves and tested their new Route feature today for the first and probably also the last time for at least a while until it’s out of its testing phase.

First, I created a Route, which follows my usual walk through the local harbour, so I figured that whenever I’d go there, I could load it up and get some extra bonuses, so I submitted that. Issue is, while creating (and apparently, this happens while traversing a Route as well…) the game blocks you from having encounters with ‘Rocket Stops’. The game freezes on Grunts, and doesn’t show PokéStop Showcases and Kecleon at all. That means the game could potentially also block you from seeing NPC’s (usually fashion dudes challenging you or whatever) and even Golden Stops while following/creating Routes. Not really ideal to put it at best.

Next up I tried one Route. It was the most boring walk ever, and pretty much just one straight line to and fro the same point. Should’ve 1*-red it, probably, but ended up rating it 3* because it was the first Route I had seen. As for Niantic’s promises regarding ‘following a Route’ as I posted on top of the page I had seen nothing back. An Incense boost was barely noticable, I’m willing to believe it might not have been boosted at all. I also got a total of a big fat zero Route spawns, so apparently you’re not guaranteed to get 3 a Route, or this is bugged. The final rewards all went straight to the trash can, except for the Stardust that is.

On my way back I happened to find another Route near and walked towards it and got rewarded with my first Shiny of today, a Shiny Lileep which I still needed because my first Shiny Lileep took 1684 checks, but that was the best Route reward, and I hadn’t even started it. About time, as I had already three hours wasted on the game today. I still had the Incense on when I followed the second Route and must admit I still didn’t notice a boost in Incense spawns. Oh, and you wouldn’t guess… I got a Route spawn! A lousy Cranidos I didn’t even bother to catch. That’s it though, so still not three spawns. I don’t even know what the final rewards for the Route were anymore, but probably nothing out of the ordinary.

So that was my first experience with the Route feature, and looks like it’s also the last. If one isn’t specifically on the route I had planned to go myself, I will not be bothered.

1 Like

Another thing I noticed on the Zygrade 4/6 Field Research last night on two of the accounts used when Tested the Routes feature x2.
One of the accounts that jump off the Route 2x recorded 0/3 Routes completed but recorded 15/20 Pokemon caught while walking Routes?
The other that didn’t jump off recorded 2/3 Routes walked and only 3/20 Pokémon caught while walking Routes.
Seriously WTF Nianshit?
My Main recorded 0 in both tasks.

I’m not sure why but having a think about the mess they’ve made of Routes.
Have they made it to complicated by making it follow an exact path. Between the multitude of devices and telecommunications signal strength every player knows there are issue with GPS positioning and drift due to objects in the locations played. How could a reasonably intelligent person expect there to be the Military precision required for exact positioning it appears to rely on now.

Why didn’t they just make Routes based on X number of Pokestops having to be spun starting from point A to point B?
To make a Route it must have:
A start point
An end point.
It must be a Minimum number of Pokestops to qualify.
It should have Maximum number of Pokestops it can be also.
To walk that Route you must begin at the Starting or End Pokestop if you want to have reverse direction option which I think it should.
You must spin all Pokestops between the Start and End.
The order should not matter as this is important with Pokestops that are close to each other. (Imagine having a set order and having to start again spinning 2 close together out of order)

Maybe ^ is just too simplistic and would let players enjoy something in the game to much.

1 Like

I still believe Routes is among the useless features in game. There is no point in having the routes in the game, which are to be decided by Niantic only. It is like they want us to walk on the specific paths which are viable according to them.

At first, many people will enjoy it ( just joking :rofl: ), but then gradually Niantic will monetize it for their purpose and include it in business module. Then they will introduce new features which will be specific to routes, so that people get attracted by it…

This Route feature is going in exact same Path that was followed by daily adventure incense. At first, it was launched like it will provide rare spawns, and in beginning it was doing it, although rate was low. At that time, many people were witnessing Galarian Birds quite easily.

This attracted people to use it regularly, as many people want to have them. But then, with time, that incense turned out to be a normal incense for 95% times, providing the event based and seasonal spawns only. People also noticed that finding and catching any Galarian Birds is almost impossible, so people stopped considering this feature.

Similar treatment is being provided to Routes. At first, people will do manage to get few Zygarde cells. But with time it will deteriorate, and obtaining a Zygarde Cell will be almost impossible. Only few lucky mortals will have Zygarde-Complete, just like few people who are having Galarian Birds…

:unamused: :unamused: :face_exhaling:

3 Likes