2023 Pokémon World Championships Celebration in Pokémon GO!: All you need to know & let’s discuss! - megathread

Event: 2023 Pokémon World Championships Celebration in Pokémon GO!

From August 11 at 10am local time
To August 15 at 8pm local time

New Pokémon debuts:

• Pokémon: Passimian
  • Shiny: Shiny Scraggy, Shiny World Championships 2023 Pikachu
  • Shadow: -
  • Costume: World Championships 2023 Pikachu

Spawns:

• Machop (S)
  • Chinchou (S)
  • Wooper (S)
  • Sableye (S)
  • Meditite (S)
  • Onix (S)
  • Spheal (S)
  • Drilbur (S)
  • Scraggy (S)
  • Bunnelby (S)
  • Wooloo
  • Lickitung (S)

Raids:

• 1*: World Championships 2023 Pikachu (S), Alolan Sandshrew (S), Gligar (S), Scraggy (S)
  • 3*: Skarmory (S), Galarian Stunfisk (S), Passimian
  • 5*: Cresselia (S)
  • Mega Raids: Mega Gyarados

Field Research:

• Catch 7 Pokémon —> World Championships 2023 Pikachu (S)
  • Power up Pokémon 10 times —> Alolan Sandslash / Galarian Zigzagoon (S)
  • Battle in the GO Battle League —> 1000x Stardust
  • Power up Pokémon 5 times —> Magikarp (S) / Spheal (S) / Wimpod
  • Trade a Pokémon —> Passimian

Special/Timed Research and Collection Challenges:

This article made by GO Hub explains what to do in order to receive an exclusive Timed Research for the 2023 PWC Celebration event. The Codes appear to be personalized and will work only once (so unfortunately you will have to watch the Twitch Streams, after 30 minutes you will receive a Twitch Drop and this enables you to claim your code.)

The Pokémon GO Twitch live stream dates are as follows.

• Friday, August 11, 2023, starting at 12:00 a.m. UTC and running until the end of the day’s rebroadcast.
  • Saturday, August 12, 2023, starting at 12:00 a.m. UTC and running until the end of the day’s rebroadcast.

Rebroadcasts will occur throughout the weekend, outside of the above-listed live show times. If you miss the live broadcast, you can still follow the below steps during a rebroadcast to get a code.

*These codes will be valid through August 20, 2023, at 12:00 a.m. UTC. Only one of each of the Timed Research codes can be claimed per account.

Timed Research:
Step 1

• Catch 5 Pokémon —> 10x PokéBall
  • Power up Pokémon 5 times —> 1x Fast TM
  • Use 5 super effective Charged Attacks —> 10x Great Ball
  • Defeat 5 Team GO Rocket Grunts —> 1x Charged TM
  • Battle in the GO Battle League 5 times —> 10x Ultra Ball

Rewards: World Championships 2023 Pikachu (S), 1x Elite Fast TM

Featured Egg pool:

• 2km Eggs: -
  • 5km Eggs: -
  • 7km Eggs: -
  • 10km Eggs: -
  • 12km Eggs: -

Featured PokéStop Showcase(s): -

Event Bonuses:

• The maximum number of sets you can play per day in the GO Battle League will go up from 5 to 10.
  • Pokémon encountered via GO Battle League rewards will have a wider variance of Attack, Defense, and HP.

Additional information:

• World Championships–themed Timed Research will be available throughout the event! Complete the research tasks to earn an Elite Fast TM, an encounter with a World Championships 2023 Pikachu, and more!
  • Passimian, the Teamwork Pokémon, will make its Pokémon GO debut!
  • For the first time in Pokémon GO, you’ll be able to encounter Shiny Scraggy—if you’re lucky!
  • The following items will be available beginning on August 11, 2023.
  • 2023 Worlds Jersey
  • 2023 Worlds Jacket

Featured Attacks:

• Shadow Claw (GHOST) for Alolan Sandslash
  • Payback (DARK) for Machamp
  • Ice Shard (ICE) for Dewgong
  • Icy Wind (ICE) for Dewgong
  • Powder Snow (ICE) for Walrein
  • Icicle Spear (ICE) for Walrein
  • Obstruct (DARK) for Obstagoon
  • Evolve previous stage Pokémon to obtain the featured attacks.

Official event infographic:

• (S) = Shiny available

What do you think of this event? Share your thoughts and results below!

Unfortunately Codes are exclusive this year and thus watching the stream will be necessary, sadly. The rewards don’t seem to be that interesting, however.

1 Like

Wow, you are still living in other centuries…

imagen

2 Likes

Watching 30 minutes of Twitch would seem like 1785 years to me!

I certainly won’t be doing it just for a couple of codes.

1 Like

Correct. I knew this info long before I even existed.

Jokes aside I have no idea why the time of the first post is set to the year 239 again. I wrote this article a few hours ago so there must be something wrong with Discourse lol.

1 Like

Personally, I feel its good that Niantic provided CD moves of few Pokemon who are viable in GBL. I already have a Walrein for UL, so this time I will evolve a Sealeo for GL.

:smiley:

Another good spawn is of Wooloo. It is so rare that I not able to get him, even via GBL reward Pool, so if I will be lucky, then I might get my first Dubwool, for GL only !!

Regarding Passimian debut…

According to Pokegenie, Base Catch CP for Passimian is 1654-1733 and with weather boost it rises to range of 2068-2166.

So he is definitely for UL only, and requires luck in order to reduce his level via trades.

Since he is pure fighting type, and as of now it lacks coverage moves as well. So I expect him doing his usual jobs as a fighting type Pokemon.

And his bulk is also comparable to Machamp :

So I am not much hyped from him.

If we dwell into slight futurism, then we should know that Passimian has access to following charged moves :

• Rock Slide, Rock Tomb
  • Drain Punch
  • Acrobatics
  • Bulldoze
  • Brutal Swing
  • Earthquake
  • Shadow Ball
  • Seed Bomb, Energy Ball, Grass Knot
  • Gunk Shot

Providing him with few moves from aforementioned choices will increase his viability.

So I might go for him in future, rather than now. As we can see even Oranguru is available in wild nowadays, so there’s no point for me to go for these small raids, despite knowing that Mega Rayquaza is in my vicinity !!

Last time, Niantic provided us Team Building Research by which we good PvP viable Pokemon. So this time as well, I was expecting something like this; providing us with choices from the Pokemon teams which were successful in last tournament…

But Niantic don’t want to give anything for free, I guess…

3 Likes

I’ll play my normal way as though this event doesn’t exist.
Interest = 0

1 Like

This is what I found yesterday exactly 24 hours ago :

Picture is blurred because I had kept streaming at 160p, and then went for the bath !

No surprises from this, and I expect something like this for today as well.

The biggest surprise for me is that Machamp(Shadow) is not present there. We should know that Machamp(S) eliminates 7 out 10 Pokemon from this screenshot.

And that’s why Machamp(Shadow) was in my team from beginning !!
:point_down:

:grin: :grin: :grin:

I am wondering how would I have fared up in the tournament if I had participated !!

Top post has been updated with the additional information for this event. Or find it here:

Timed Research:
Step 1

• Catch 5 Pokémon —> 10x PokéBall
  • Power up Pokémon 5 times —> 1x Fast TM
  • Use 5 super effective Charged Attacks —> 10x Great Ball
  • Defeat 5 Team GO Rocket Grunts —> 1x Charged TM
  • Battle in the GO Battle League 5 times —> 10x Ultra Ball

Rewards: World Championships 2023 Pikachu (S), 1x Elite Fast TM

Field Research:

• Catch 7 Pokémon —> World Championships 2023 Pikachu (S)
  • Power up Pokémon 10 times —> Alolan Sandslash / Galarian Zigzagoon (S)
  • Battle in the GO Battle League —> 1000x Stardust
  • Power up Pokémon 5 times —> Magikarp (S) / Spheal (S) / Wimpod
  • Trade a Pokémon —> Passimian

The World Championships 2023 Pikachu appears to be Shiny boosted.

1 Like

Turns out there’s a bug going on where a regular female World Championships 2023 Pikachu looks normal but is apparently shiny. How did they manage to mess THAT up? Lol

1 Like

Niantic finally realized Seel was never added as a Field Research reward. The task for Seel is ‘Power up Pokémon 5 times’.

Alolan Sandslash might be rerolled to Alolan Sandshrew as well.

Event was very good for me, and I am finally calling the end for the event on 14th August, at 10:00 PM.

I got many good things which I needed :

Got Shadolaslash and unlocked 2nd move with ease for Machamp(S) :

Got Dubwool and Walrein for Great League :

:smile: :grin: :grin:

For me, this event was heads and shoulders above many events this year, and even better than Adventure week, as fossil Pokemon have not much use, except the limited formats…

:wink: :smiley:

This topic was automatically closed after 13 days. New replies are no longer allowed.