Anyone else noticed this minor QOL update?

And we will look absolutely terrible starting April 17th! How delightful…

3 Likes

A bit of an update:

I just downloaded the brand new version and Niantic have obviously been tinkering behind the scenes.

There are three immediately noticeable differences

• the enhanced graphics option is now permanently greyed out on my phone. If I try to click it I get a message telling me my device is not compatible

• the frame-rate on the encounter screen is super-smooth. I have read that the game is now locked into the battery-draining native refresh mode but this option is not enabled in my settings

• there is a delay of approximately 0.5 seconds when any option that takes you away from the main map screen is touched

Once I’ve had a chance to go walking I’ll update as to whether the games is still crashing as frequently :crossed_fingers:

1 Like

It’s staggering how they can get it so wrong and stuff up what they call game improvement so much.
I remember doing a customer service / stake holder training course a long time ago that touched on the subject of how many people complain / speak up and let a business know there is a problem with their product or service v those that say nothing and just walk away never doing business with again. The % that say nothing and walk away is much larger than those that say something.
Nianshit are playing dangerous game releasing stuff to players who never even asked to be part of a test group making the game unplayable.
I bet they use AI to scan all player accounts and specifically target players they think won’t leave based on playing style.

2 Likes

I haven’t complained directly to Niantic, but I understand that those that do have been completely blanked by support and roundly ignored on twitter.
They have never even acknowledged that there is a problem.

I’m the sort of person that takes so much… and then eventually just walks away. But since I don’t spend a lot of money on the game, I don’t suppose Niantic cares what I do.

On another point, I keep seeing articles like the one on this site…

These articles are nothing but fluff pieces copied almost verbatim from stuff put out by Niantic’s press department.

There is absolutely no critical discussion of the issues that these cosmetic updates are causing - and the tens of thousands of test-subjects here in the UK who are now completely locked-out of the game.

I, for one, am not hyped for these changes - and shame on these journalists who are not doing their job properly.

I don’t know, maybe Niantic will fix all the problems before this gets a worldwide release and stop the sh!t from really hitting the fan. I really hope it does…

At least if they don’t fix it by the 17th then everyone will have issues and they’ll have to address it.

2 Likes

Knowing Niantic, they probably won’t. The only issues they ever fix are the ones benefitting the players.

2 Likes

Just had a look and the only thing rolling out globally on the 17th is the avatar update.

I don’t think that broke anything. It just makes your character look physically weird and anaemic - and lets you put on skirts and crop tops/trousers and long shirts.

It’s the update on the 22nd that will break the game on 50+% of phones unless it gets fixed beforehand.

2 Likes

That will be the dangerous day…

Ah, and could be, @Jormdeworm, that your letter n doesn’t work?
For me the sentence had to be: The only issues they "n"ever fix…

2 Likes

:joy: yeah they never fix anything indeed.

But I meant it the way it’s written, they only fix bugs that that help the players, all the bad bugs usually stay forever though.

3 Likes

So I said I’d report back on the latest software update after I’d had chance to take a stroll - and here goes…

Well, I’m happy to report that things seem to be getting a little better.

I had a 45 mins stroll around my village (where the gameplay is not very intense) and I’m cautiously optimistic things are going in the right direction.

The game crashed just twice. Once when I tried to Raid and once when I tried to start a Route. There is still some lag, white flashes, and general glitching but not to the extent that gameplay is completely ruined.

I’m not sure how the game would’ve coped with playing in a busy town or city environment - but, for the moment, it seems the fixing behind the scenes is actually working :wink:

1 Like

Well… now that the avatar update has rolled out globally I see there is uproar in the reddit community and beyond.

The new options are almost universally despised.

I read several comments where people said it’s the worst thing ever to happen to Pokemon Go and that they no longer WANT to play the game… well ahem, they just need to wait till next week’s update - that brings the dynamic backgrounds - and half of them actually WON’T be able to play the game! Let’s see how they feel about that!

I think this week’s outrage over what is, essentially, a cosmetic change is gonna pale in comparison to what is coming on the horizon… ARCEUS SAVE US ALL!!!

3 Likes

Let’s take a look at our new options:

Sonic the Hedgehog / \

Hair is unmown grass / \

Hair is spilling toxic waste / \

Hair is on fire / \

Did not brush my hair today / \

Definitely did not brush my hair today / \

/ \ Guys…IT’S GOING RIGHT THROUGH MY SHIRT YOU IDIOTS

2 Likes

Such a QoL feature. It looks atrocious.

1 Like

For me the idea of the game is to catch Pokémon… wtf imports my hairstyle? Does it help to catch a special type of Pokémon? Does other types running away?

1 Like

*arms are just going through the outfit in weird ways *

1 Like