Make Ultra League and Master League the Option Modes - Keep Great League

The Ultra League (UL) and Master League (ML) format are a poor display of Pokemon Go’s PvP potential. The lack of diversity and gaps between the whales and the community is a concern noticed by Niantic as well. Hence the only format in their streamed and publicized competitive environment being Great League.

Instead of only gaining access to the best format 1/3 of the time, instead simply make the Great League accessible at all times and have the UL/ML switch in as the optional Leagues for the weeks. If they choose to keep the smaller cups as a choice too (element cup remix, psychic cup, catch cup, ect) simply offer them as a third option if need be.

There is also a solution to have separate MMR for the 3 major leagues - but would require more developmental work. At this point, most the competitive community only engages with the PvP system during GL weeks and then waits a month for it to cycle back. Not the engagement I’m sure Niantic is looking for.

Hello There !!
:wave: :wave:

I agree with some your idea, but I feel that UL is the easiest of format. It doesn’t requires powering up majority of Pokemon to their limit, nor it requires to have low level of those Pokemon who are actually born to go high !!

Actually this is highly common in Great League, where the entire meta is saturated. And this saturation is on another level in Master League, where you will see same team every now and then.

Many of the best Pokemon in GL are powered up beyond level 40, therefore they all will become completely ineligible if Premier format returns.

Don’t believe Niantic’s idea.

If you will see the repeat telecast of matches during live streaming, you will find that every participant was there was using the same team, more or less, with very-very minimal variation. All those players had chosen their team from the same 14-15 Pokemon. So actually winning there requires a bit of luck and a balance team, with minimal skills.

Not to forget that all those players who play during any live stream are whales. So ultimately it was all about winning the lead & countering the switch. If you can do this quite consistently, then you can also become the world champion.

Ask any of those players to drop out Medicham, Sableye, Shadow Charizard, Swampert; and you will find those players losing their matches consistently !!

Rather I will say that Niantic should make all open formats available all the times, with those minor and niche formats as options over the week. Only whales can afford to make their teams for those niches…

I am at Lv. 38 and I can definitely can’t afford many concepts and elements of Pokemon GO. But this doesn’t means that I cannot play in GO Battle League. Rather, if you ask anyone in this forum, you will find out that I am the only person here who plays GBL consistently.

I feel Ultra League is easiest of three because it is not at extreme end, neither the cap is too low, nor the requirements are too high. Majority of Pokemon who are better in UL are around Lv. 30-35, with few exceptions for sure. Therefore if I will choose few Pokemon which I need, then I can make them with ease for UL, rather than GL or ML, where IVs are determining factors.

I do not consider evolving every Pokemon which I catch, nor I am interested in leveling up, so it’s important for me to highlight few Pokemon which I will consider for future usage, as the deciding factor for me is utility, rather than anything else. I choose few Pokemon, gradually improvise them ( Without Raiding ), and then use them in battles. This is also applicable to legendary Pokemon.

So as per my experience, Great League is too tough to get consistency if we are lacking XL powered or high investment Pokemon. I am saying this even though I cross 2300+ rating every season, and Master League becomes the culprit to bring it down, as Niantic always keeps Master League for last two weeks.

I don’t feel so. The “Competitive Community” to whom you are referring to are whales, and most of them are over Lv. 45 or even Lv. 50. So for them, playing in any format is affordable and easy.

For all other players, Open GL and Open UL are the formats of the interest, with avoidance of ML.

For beginners, GL is the only format which they can afford in beginning, but with time they pick up with those average players.

Little Cup, Jungle Cup, Psychic Cup, Catch Cup, etc-etc… are for whales, where they unlock 2nd move even for Pokemon under 500CP. You may be thinking that Little Cup is easier for new players, just because they can use any Pokemon which they had caught below the cap, but you should not forget that as you rise higher, more tougher opponent you will find, and you will eventually end up battling against whales !!