Gym rework

1. Every defender should give to his trainer ONE coin on every whole hour. This change should immediately bring the sense of gym battles back. No limits are needed, WAR will create the limit.

2. Feeding defenders during the battles should be blocked just like adding new pokemons to the gym is blocked in the attacked gym now.

3. Simple AI is used to choose team in the raids/R-team battles/league etc. The same code can be used in gym battles. Every 30s of standard cooldown time AI should change fighting defender to the most acurate at the moment. In perfect world AI should can change defender, when attacker has changed (f.Ex if current attacker was eliminated), of course only if cooldown isn’t still active.

4. Is NO sense to battle with OTHER rules than in League/R-team battles. All should be unificated. Energy system, bonuses, especialy attack bufs and debuffs etc.

5. Number of defender slots should be paired with gym popularity. For example:

NumberOfSlots=4+INT(LOG10(WeeklyGymBattles))

From 4 to (who knows) maybe 10 slots. Of course AI choose up to six defenders to the battle.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum.
Interesting choice of first post.
Most of what you’ve written after points 1&2 I don’t really understand. I’m not heavily invested in the battle mechanics of the Game.

While it hampers/slows my goal to Gold Gyms the Max Cap you can occupy was a great thing for the game as it made occupying Gyms less attractive to GPS cheats.
Reducing the amount that can be in a Gym and introducing the health decay mechanic was also good as it let new and low level players participate on the Gym side of the game.
Under the old system new players never had a hope and were crushed by well established players.
I think the balance is good and it’s definitely a much less toxic part of the game. Although there are still some small pockets where a few unhinged players get possessive and violent over Gyms.
The only thing I would like to see is a 30 or 60min cool down before a Gym that has been taken can be taken again. Would stop some of the unfair things that can still happen. Might help slightly adjust some of the unhealthy obsession the unhinge have about thinking they need to not share the game a little bit.

1 Like

Except getting 50 Pokecoins, I really don’t know what is the benefit of Gym System.

I am not interested in making a good looking tally of Gym Badges, as they don’t provide any real world advantage, except for some challenges where we need to win few gym battles.

So I think that Gym System needs a big overhaul in terms of usage and utility. Getting Gym Badges should unlock some perks, just like the case of Mega Energy Levels…

1 Like

Only advantage of Gym badges now is additional items. Can’t see them giving away additional items as that would hurt purchases in the shop.

Really sorry, I’m never learnded english…

Point 3
Game know (or think she know) which pokemon is best to the specific battle. This algorithm is used, when PoGo select team for the raid. Or for the league if You don’t have your own team preselected.
The same code (named “simple AI” in my previous post) should EVERY 30seconds check attacker and list of available gym defenders, then SWAP current defender to the best available against current attacker.
This modification should REALLY change our look on the gym defenders.

Point 4
Gym should have 4 slots. Additional slots should be added if gym is currently “attractive” for the players.
If in last week in the gym was 0 to 9 battles gym will have 4 slots in next week. If 10-99 battles was done gym will become ONE additional slot (to the number of 5). 100-999 battles will give TWO slots etc.

At the rest of Your comment:
Now ALL of the players are crushed by ALL of the players because current gym system give NO CHANCES for the defenders. Except situation, when defender owner feed his pokemons with GoldRasp.

Maybe it’s all more part of honesty… When I run around I ALLWAYS look the lowest time of being in the gym. When it’s less then 8 hours, I go and search for anotherone. I ONLY attack when the time counter is higher.
This way there’s no need to change the actual system.

1 Like

No need to be sorry @H_Brunner
Wasn’t your english. I just didn’t understand what your suggesting for reworking in points 3&4 and after rewording it made a little more sense but still don’t really get it but that’s ok.

1 Like

Hmmm… why?

Current gym system is senseless for many of players. Daily 50 coins after 8+ hour and NOTHING more if You don’t collect gold gyms and if You have plainum badges for battles and defence.

First point motivate all players to gym battles. If You play really “professional” You can acquire 300-500 coins per day.

Second point emininate senseless and very boring fight against feeded tanks.

Third almost eliminate tanks from the best defenders. Now You REALLY should to think about pokemon You put to the gym. Of course if You want well defended team.

Fourth point. Some gyms are hard accessible, some are close to the many of players. Gym standing on the Mount Everest will be beat (maybe) one time in the year and, with the suggested coin system will bring very good total income. Should have small number of slots.
Gym in the popular gallery change color may times daily. Should give small income for many players. Additionaly, if gym will have f.Ex. 10 slots then proposed Gym-AI will have bigger chance to the Win in the battle. Gym will be “stronger” and (maybe) will be more “stabil”.

:arrow_up_down:

Plus there is no benefit of getting Platinum Gym Badges either, just false sense of satisfaction of having it !!
:joy: :joy:

Rather than people keeping their Pokemon in Gym, I want Niantic to keep Pokemon from their side instead. And in MSG, we have 9 regions so far, therefore we have :

( 8 x 8 ) + ( 1x4 ) + ( 1x4 ) = 72 Gyms

So as you all can see that, in MSG we are getting 72 Gym Leaders, including Alola and Orange Island challenges. Therefore, Niantic should randomly distribute the Gym Leaders across the Gyms, and upon winning against the Gym Leader we will get 100 Coins.

And to not make this stagnant, Niantic should randomly shuffle the Gym Leaders once every week. 72 combinations are more than enough w.r.t. seeing same common Pokemon again and again in Gyms, and also not to forget that there was Battle Frontier as well in MSG, which can be included to provide more options under consideration.

They should also adopt the idea of @Jormdeworm of providing the original Gym Badge Artwork flair to the Gym Badges which we will collect. At least, it will look much decent than the present system.

And another important point; what is the benefit of Team Mystic, Valor, Instinct apart from getting bonus three balls in raids and some additional goods by spinning the Team Control Gym ?

I chose Team Mystic just because I thought that I will get opportunity to have Articuno in my team. But later I realized that it don’t provide any benefits, and is just for colorization of trainer card.

So I think there should be some perks for joining a particular team. Around a particular colored Gym, there should be spawn of those Pokemon which match the leader’s preferred type, but those spawns will only be available to trainer who have Gym Bonus.

And most importantly, there should be Gyms accessible to every players. There is no point in speculating these, unless we have easily accessible Gyms around us. Wayfarer is worst, so they need to think other way around.

This is the place where I do raids :

Lots of raids going on now, as you all can clearly see the various gyms.

Region depended and Leader possesed gyms is the GREAT idea.

Gyms should be binded with seasons of the specific region, changed every month. This may to close the game to series of Ash adventures.

Player have one chance (yes: ONE) to defeat specific Gym Leader in the season. Of course he can try to fight against every season Gym Leaders in the month, but ONE TIME in the one type of season Gym.

Gym Leader should be… really good and hard to bit Including shields and (last but not least) AI.
For ex.

-Shield shouldn’t fired if pokemon have below 10% of HP and have NO CHANCE for his charged attack. It’s really easy to calculate.

-Every time standard cooldown is ended AI should check: maybe OTHER pokemon will be better against current attacker.

-The same algorithm should to change Leader pok if player swap his pet (of course if cooldown isn’t active)

-Leader pokemons should have (if available) TWO charged attacks of the different types and they should use, of course, BETTER against current enemy.

All the changes above are REALLY EASY to implement to the game. IMHO should be used to the R-Teams, Trainer battles and gym defence too.

I love the idea of having actual gym leaders but there needs to be more than 72 worldwide, as there are around 1.64 million POGO Gyms worldwide, according to a four year old reddit post (so there are probably even more now)

TBH I would also like it if we could put legendaries in gyms. Let me show of my Shiny Shadow Articuno, Niantic!