Gen 8 movesets found

I’m not sure when or how, but it looks like GamePress got access to the GameMaster files–I’m assuming through the normal dataminers–for the complete Gen 8 Pokedex, and that includes all the Legendaries from the DLC content of Sword and Shield.

In regard to the two already released, Zacian and Zamazenta Crowned Formes get massive boosts, and Crowned Sword Zacian becomes the new king of the Steel-types with Metal Claw and Iron Head. What carries it over Metagross is its massive attack and supporting defense. Zamazenta doesn’t get the same benefit, but it’s only behind Genesect as a Steel-type attacker.

As for the others, here’s the rundown (Megas and Shadows aren’t considered):

Eternatus
Fast Moves: Dragon Tail, Poison Jab
Charge Moves: Cross Poison, Dragon Pulse, Flamethrower
(If it wasn’t for Cross Poison, this might have dethroned Roserade, but still, a number 2 Poison Attacker. Doesn’t place as a Dragon-attacker)

Urshifu (Rapid Strike)
Fast Moves: Counter, Waterfall, Rock Smash
Charge Moves: Brick Break, Dynamic Punch, Aqua Jet, Close Combat
Urshifu (Single Strike)
Fast Moves: Counter, Sucker Punck, Rock Smash
Charge Moves: Brick Break, Dynamic Punch, Payback, Close Combat
(Whichever one you use, they are both number 2 Fighting behind Lucario, so it’s simply up to preference. Neither one places in their other typings.)

Regieleki
Fast Moves: Lock-On, Thunder Shock
Charge Moves: Zap Cannon, Hyper Beam, Thunder
(Poor poor Regi. It’s attack is really nice, but those movesets hurt it far too much. Doesn’t even place. Shame.

Regidrago
Fast Moves: Bite
Charge Moves: Dragon Pulse, Outrage, Hyper Beam
(Another victim of its moveset. While its Defense could set off alarms, it’s HP stat might have helped it along…had it been more relevant.)

Calyrex (Normal)
Fast Moves: Confusion, Pound
Charge Moves: Psyshock, Psychic, Energy Ball
(A colossal meh. Even the Regi’s feel more useful. Kyurem feels more useful since this is essentially Gen 8’s Kyurem due to its mechanic.)

Calyrex (Ice Rider)
Fast Moves: Confusion, Take Down
Charge Moves: Psyshock, Psychic, Energy Ball, Avalanche
(Now we’re talking. While still behind Hoopa, Mewtwo and Alakazam, its TDO is comparable to Mewtwo, so it has the bulk Psychic-types often don’t get to boast without losing a lot of attack)

Calyrex (Shadow Rider)
Fast Moves: Confusion, Take Down
Charge Moves: Psyshock, Psychic, Energy Ball, Shadow Ball
(For some reason, this one doesn’t appear in the GamePress, but judging by its attack and defense, I don’t see why this one would not be better than Ice Rider, in overall DPS anyway.)

Spectrier
Fast Moves: Take Down, Tackle
Charge Moves: Shadow Ball, Foul Play, Bulldoze
(Ouch. Yeah, with those movesets, Gengar is safe and sound, as well as anything else.)

Glastrier
Fast Moves: Take Down, Tackle
Charge Moves: Avalanche, Icy Wind, Bulldoze
(Another ouch.)

That’s it for the Legendaries, but I did notice that in several typings, the meta got rattled a little bit in some typings, so Gen 8 introduces some interesting back-up attackers at least. Inteleon is on the radar for sure, and it will likely get Hydro Cannon eventually, so I’m fascinated to know where that will place it in the Water-type meta.

2 Likes

Glass cannons good for PvE, tanky stuff like Eternatus and (maybe?) Drago for PvE, horses good for neighter, damn

1 Like

Right? I was hoping so much for Spectrier and Glastrier–although Glastrier seems destined to fail (why does Game Freak hate this Ice Horse so much?)–but there’s no excuse for Spectrier. It CAN learn Hex in Sword and Shield.

Same for Regidrago, which can learn Dragon Breath. Hopefully they’ll update these as some point, but yikes, this almost feels intentional or outright numbskulled.

1 Like

If eternatus got even a slightly better move set, it would become the best monster in the game. Now it is a good one, but not “the best”

1 Like

Indeed. I had higher hopes for Eternatus. I mean, it’s not bad certainly, but Cross Poison? It can learn Sludge Bomb. Heck, Sludge Wave was still a choice.

2 Likes