GYM Hyper Hype!

I want to mirror some of @GaryOak’s comments.
1). Check your legacy moves:
Gen 1 Moves
Gen 2 Moves
These moves won’t be coming back, so once you change them you won’t be able to re-roll those moves again. There will be an inherent trade value to these pokemon to collectors.
2). Keep an eye on the gender of your pokemon before you clear them from your log. When they rollout breeding the pokemon gender is going to play a roll in that. Even if they have breeding groups the pokemon gender will affect the outcoming of that breeding.
3). We don’t know all the details so it may not be prudent to dump your prestiging pokemon until we have the full story.

This is going to be huge and possibly the first major improvement to this game since it was released a year ago. It solves so many issues that people have with the current meta.

Honestly, I am most excited about being able to re-roll moves. We can finally have a chance to get the movesets we want without endlessly farming, evolving and being disappointed when the high IV pokemon doesn’t get the moves we want. I can’t wait to learn more on how this is going to work!

3 Likes

Can you still get stardust from the new gyms?

Typhlosion and Ninetales have always been able to learn Solar Beam, even before Gym Rework and TMs. What I’m saying is that the Pokémon who can’t normally have a specific attack (eg. Victreebel will never learn Overheat) won’t be able to learn that attack with a TM. A TM is rather a reroll of already pre-set attacks that are possible on that specific Pokémon, than a completely random reroll of any attack out of the attack pool.

2 Likes

Maybe this will clear up some confusion:

1 Like

I’m really really looking forwards to this rework. The TMs have to be one of the coolest additions so far, especially with movesets becoming even more important in gym play. No more disappointment when evolving a 'mon with awesome IVs only to get a shitty moveset. They’ll probably be difficult to get, but at least there’s a chance for getting to build the attacker/defender you want.
Can’t wait to take part in some raids, too. :grin:

1 Like

When it says “Only One Type” per gym. I’m given the illusion that that means (fire/ice/electric/etc.) Not different characters? In the press release photo it shows 6 different types, just my opinion.:thinking:

I think it means type of Pokémon because they specifically say no more gyms full of blissey/dragonite

4 Likes

Yes, we now get 50 dust per berry fed. Not sure how much, if any, we get when a Pokemon returns. Similar to the new coin system, I assume we will get amount of dust based on the length of time a Pokemon as defended a gym.

Just came home from Cars 3 with the kids and saw the gyms were turned on. I was the first to place a Pokemon in the two nearest to my house. I’ll hit a few more before we go to Cub Scouts tonight.

I’ve had my Dragonite in the gym near my house for a little over an hour. His CP has already dropped 500 points. Looks like I’ll have to feed them on the way to and the way home from work.

Cheats can still joystick to gyms, for that reason this update is a failure. SSDD

Your right seen 3 water type in one earlier.

Niantic has just handed their game to spoofers…legit players will not be able to keep up with maintaining more than a few gyms. I stopped on my way home and it took me 20 minutes to take down a gym with two Pokémon…imagine how long a full gym will take. If you thought gyms were stale before, just wait

I put in my mon and before I left it was already being taken down and no one was around. I managed to get another gym and both were returned to me within a half hour with no coins that I noticed.

This is the first time I can actually see myself quitting the game. I was hoping they would make it better for people who play the game right and instead they made it worse.

I agree… Mons in gyms aren’t the only ones losing motivation, so are legit trainers.

Hopefully this new update will enable Niantic to catch the spoofers. Who can really maintain that many gyms without doing it legitimately? Let’s see how it goes the next few weeks before we pass judgement.

Good things and bad things.

Good first. Like the more gyms. Like the more stuff to do and building your team feeling. Slots fill fast, so you have to be fast. Can’t wait to get down on raids. When they start, pull up your nearby screen and swipe left to see what raids are nearby.

Bad. A problem…

You see. With the old gym system, attackers were favored to win. It was easier and faster to knock down the enemy gym, then to match with esteem ups.

This is exactly the opposite. It favors defense. Beating a Pokémon in a gym takes off, from what I can see, 1/4 of their max motivation. Clearing all 6 in one impressive showing…knocks out no one. You need to do it 2-3 more times. All 6 each go.

Meanwhile, nice push notifications let’s jerks (like me, lol) know they’re being attacked. I forsaw this problem and when a gym was being attacked last night, I tested. Quick walk over, into range but out of sight. What did I do?

I chucked bananas at defenders faces until the problem went away. Now I wanted to throw, and one guy got knocked, but you guys should know there’s no throwing in gyms while they’re under attack.

So, I guess Niantic wants you to combat physical aggression with…tossing fruit?

Yup, thats right. Talk about not being able to win a war…ever. No one can race throwing away dumb berries with this harder knock down requirement. Time to snipe at 2:30am. Watch out for the cops.

More thoughts. Important I think. Because of the above mentioned points AND gaining 50 dust a pop, berries in general became the most important item in the whole game. Hands down. Never throw away, commit to storage pop if needed, and walk your turf every morning with a supply.

IMPORTANT! Berries start to suck after, like, 3 uses in a row. It goes from huge boosts to tiny slivers. Just lay off for a while. Spin the stop. Wait the time for it to refresh. Go again. That should be enough time to berry again.

Still, just make your rounds, 2-3 berries per monster in the gym as needed. If guys are still down, dust them up on your next walk around.

Is this Android only maybe? I haven’t had any notifications so far that one of my mons was under attack.

Well, when they need berries, and only when the game is open. Supposed to be for attacks. Haven’t seen that yet.

I haven’t had any notifications, either, despite gyms being taken down near me while I was actively playing.

What I started doing today, because winning through all six pokemon in a row to little effect became annoying was to always focus on only the first defender and quit+heal up once it’s defeated. It gets easier every time, and you can take full advantage of your strongest type advantage attacker every time. It takes a while, but that way I ended up taking down full gyms with relatively little investment of revives and potions. First time I’ve been able to do that in forever, because I’m more of a casual player (lv25, highest cp mons around 2000 - 2300) and recently there was no way for me to take down 52000 prestige gyms on my own, even if I blew huge stacks of heal items.