Questions about ending friendships

What happens if I un-friend somebody? Do they get a message saying I unfriended them, or does my trainer name simply vanish from their friend list? Do we have an opportunity to give some indication of why we un-friended them? Is it a unilateral process or is the one being un-friended able to propose the friendship continue? Is it possible to re-friend somebody whose friendship was ended by one of us? I would prefer if the friends who never open a gift but keep sending them can be jolted into the give-and-take dynamic rather than just ending the friendship.

And I’d like to know how the process plays out before I start, so that I can use the process properly and avail myself of any mechanisms for diplomatic friend-ending that might be available.

2 Likes

From what I understand, there is no message. What does happen is that any progress made is currently held on the server for like a week or so, that way you can get back right where you had left off. Once that expires, you will have to start all over again.

I’ve removed a few friends in my friends list due to inactivity, or broken trade deals. I make it clear that it’s nothing personal; it’s just making room for another friend that’s more active.

2 Likes

No, no, no, no ,no and yes, you are able to add them again. It’s just like deleting a friend anywhere on the internet, no notifications are sent out.

1 Like

I drop people all the time to make room for active players,

1 Like

I thought the progress would be saved period. Not just a week.

I know you dont get a message if someone removes you. The name just vanishes.

1 Like

Don’t remove me @vorgriff3

2 Likes

No way, man.

2 Likes

They disappear from their list. No message

1 Like

PkmnMasterHolly on Twitter asked the same question, and she was told by various other people that the progress is saved for 7 days and then the progress resets on day 8.

2 Likes

Thanks; that should be helpful. But since I’m not anywhere on the internet that has a friendship feature, I’m equally ignorant of how deleting friends works on any of those sites.

Did they update this since March? I removed a friend early on because he (by his own admission) was rubbish with sending gifts until shinies were introduced in them. When I re-added him we went straight back to where we left off…

3 Likes

What happens if I send a gift to a friend on Pokémon go and they never open it and then I unfriend them? Will they still be able to open the gift after I unfriend them?

1 Like

I don’t think so. Your name would disappear from their list and so your gift would be gone too.

3 Likes

Last person to unfriend me opened their gift and then deleted me.

1 Like