Researchers, unite! - Potential Trade IV Theory

Note: This will only be testable at a higher friendship level, so as of the time of posting you can’t test it

My hypothesis is that the higher you get in friendship with someone the less IV’s will change and that Ultra/Best friends levels they’ll either stay the same or increase.

For example if i wanted to trade an 80% Magikarp with someone it should look like:
Good Friend: 50-80% IV reroll
Great Friend: 65-80% Reroll
Ultra Friend: Remains the same
Best Friend: 80-100% Increase

I’m yet to find a news source that discusses this so that’s why i’ve posted it.

3 Likes

I would say 70-90 for ultra friend

1 Like

At first I thought they first mark out the CP range and then pinpoint possible IV combinations, since the CP wasnt supposed to increase but the IVs could

But thats definetly wrong since it turns out you can get higher CP than the “maximum” shown on the screen

What I have seen is that trading level 35 low IV pokemon is godly and the inverse is horrible.

4 Likes

Hopefully Best Friends it is always a increase or a remain the same.

I’ve traded with a best friend and each time the IV has fallen.

The closer the IV is to 100%, the more it will fall, the closer it is to 0%, the more it’ll rise.

So if I traded a 0%er, it will most likely become 50%+, If I trade a 100%, it will most likely become something <50%. However, best friends means it’s IV will be higher than if they weren’t best friends. I’ve traded some 67-89%ers today, and they all became 51-64%.

I’ve traded quite a few 70-90% IV Junk Tyranitar and Machamps from Raids (weather boosted and none weather boosted) between the Wife and Kids accounts which were Great friends at the time.
The % that increased is very small with the majority getting worse.
Doesn’t worry as all were getting put on Gym Duty and transferred upon return any way.
I did get 1 Machamp go 100% so that was worth it.
I’ll have a bucket load of MewTwo to get the same treatment but will wait until they are best friends in another 40-45 days.

trading mewtwo at ultra friend status, if they have one already which i asume, doesn’t cost that much (only 1600 dust). I do this all the time with my GF’s acount. Since trading mewtwo is a special trade you can do only one per day. The few hunderd dust you’ll save by waiting so long is not worth the hassle IMO

There’s a theory also floated that trades within days of capture are less likely to improve. Older Pokemon are more likely to improve. There’s no evidence and I have no experience to confirm or deny if it has merit.
I might trade some earlier if bag space starts becoming an issue.

First part is true, second part… Not that much
Obviously, if you only have few combinations above the one you already have, its unlikely it will rise
But the initial IVs have no impact