Biomes VS. Terrains

The term “Biomes” is often confused with what a like to call “Terrains”. The technical definition of “Biomes” is a property of of a spawn point that determines what Pokemon that spawn point Generates.(https://pokemongohub.net/pokemon-go-biomes/). This means you do not have to be in a certain enviorment that would match the type of pokemon as if in the real world. The term Terrain is the COMPLETE opposite. It means that if you were near a Lake or Ocean, The number of Water type Pokemon would outnumber the other types by a decent margin. Another Example could be if you were in a Forest or Jungle(and somehow managed to have cell signal) then you would notice a large spike in the number of grass type spawns. There is a difficulty in tracking Terrains For 2 Reasons: 1. Double-Typing/ 2. Type Events.

By Double-Typing I am talking about the common occurrence of a Pokemon having more than one type. Take Pidgey for example, Pidgey is Easily the most common Pokemon in Pokemon GO, It is a Double-Typing being Both a Flying and Normal Type Pokemon. This makes Tracking Terrains slightly more difficult considering it takes way more than one day to determine the type of terrain if every Pokemon in the area has a double-Typing.

By Type events I am Referring to In Game events that increase the Spawn rates of the chosen type of Pokemon. Events we have already seen include:

• Halloween Event- Ghost,Dark
  • Water Festival- Water
  • Global Bloom- Grass
  • Adventure Week- Rock
  • Solstice Event- Fire,Ice

This also throws of the chance of being able to identify a terrain as Pokemon of the event typing spawn rate increases by a lot so they take over other terrains so that you can only begin to identify them once the event is over.

The upside of identifying Terrains over Biomes is the fact that terrains are kinda Self Explanatory because if you’re at the beach it will obviously be a water terrain.

In my next couple Articles I will be trying to identify the terrain of my Neighborhood by keeping a chart of every Pokemon I see and also its type!:grinning:

Very good explained.
There we are, a Terrain is something physical, that in “normal” circumstances will not change.
But then I have to understand that Biomes are only a “Summary” of a spawn point, which will change (nearly) in every Migration. So we will never see a constant Biome-Map, but there can be Terrain-Maps with “typical” Pokemon which will spawn in this Terrains (outside of Events).

Thank you so much for the feedback it really means a lot!:grin:

Amazing article! Can we publish it on the Hub?

Yes, Please Do, thank you so much!

After reading the comments in the Hub, I think you have to explain the details better.
And I would like to give you my point of view, maybe it gives you material for a second article.

All the spawns come from a bag of Mon’s with different % of posibility to come out. So, in every place could come out one of the 251 Pokemons. Only that, for example, the Legendaries have a probability in this moments of 0%.

But there are at least two types of spawns, the nests and the normal spawns.
The first ones are described and limited by Biomes, but this don’t mean that there can’t come out other Mon’s, only that they have a lesser probability.
The second ones are more terrain-dependent, but again there can come out other types.

And in events the only thing Niantic do is changing the value of probability of the event-specific Mon’s, without taking out of the game all the other’s.

And reading the new article about time-of-day specific spawns of some Mon’s complicates a little bit more the function the program calculates everytime when a spawn happens…